Monday, August 11, 2008

Champagne Sunday - 8/10

We had soft shells again, but not crabs this time. Twice a year female lobsters shed their shells and begin the process of regrowing a new one. Males do this once a year. Unlike soft shell crabs, the new shell of these lobsters is not edible, but it is easy to break apart with bare hands. No crackers necessary. A really good bottle of Lilbert, Champagne, Cramant, Grand Cru, Blanc de Blancs, NV got the evening started with the Olympics on in the background. This is the first time I have tasted a bottle from Lilbert that showed mature flavors. The wine's texture was creamy and a beautiful note of honey showed through on the palate.

For the main event, I opened a Lamy Pillot, Saint-Aubin, Pucelles, blanc. Pucelles is a lieu-dit near the village of Saint-Aubin. It was shocking how good this bottle was. I first became aware of this small producer based in Chassagne-Montrachet when I read that they bottle a Montrachet. Lamy Pillot barrel ferments all their wines and the Pucelles had a beautiful texture. Considering that this vineyard is not a premier cru, the wine's richness was surprising. The fruit was slightly tropical, but not over the top. I loved this wine.



Speaking of main events, I had been waiting all evening to see the 4 x 100 mens relay featuring Michael Phelps. At 11pm, an announcement flashed across the screen that the race would begin in 19 minutes. 'Thank goodness,' I thought sitting on the couch...................I woke up to see a volley ball flying across the screen. Half asleep, I stood up and turned the t.v. off. I walked upstairs and looked at the clock in the kitchen. 1:30am "The relay!" At that second I realized that I had fallen asleep and missed the biggest olympic event of the day. "Wait, I have a DVR," I thought in a moment of hope. Then I remembered that I had turned the t.v. off. The next morning, while making a soy latte, I heard a report on NPR detailing the race. The reporter concluded his segment by saying, "for those in the race and watching, it was an unforgettable olympic moment." Aarghh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Team USA celebrating their victory (2008 Getty Images, Inc.)

No comments: